Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Reiki Session with David

Last night I had the privilege of having a Reiki session with David Gleekel, Director of the Reiki Center of Greater Washington. I hadn't realized how much I needed work, and the power of the session made me think about how grateful I am for David's presence in my life - as a friend, teacher, guide, and colleague.

David came to me as a massage client several months ago, referred through a request on the Energy Therapy Network (ETN). ETN is an active list-serve of energy practitioners of all kinds, an amazing resource of and for healers - more on that in another post, perhaps. I was delighted to meet David because as a full-time energy worker, he truly appreciated what makes my work my work - the energetic component of the massage. He has since become a regular client, and his observations and descriptions have been affirming and helpful in owning my own power as a healer, in feeling validated and valued. He is a discriminating, discerning consumer of bodywork, who gets that 'deeper' does not mean more pressure, force or pain. "This is actually an energy experience delivered through massage!" Yes, yes, yes!!

In addition to massage, David was also very interested in experiencing and learning about Jin Shin acupressure, my personal stepping off place into the world of energy healing. We decided to exchange sessions - Jin Shin for Reiki, and we have been exchanging ever since. Through this experience
I have come to understand more about my own favorite healing art by comparing it to Reiki, both through my own sensations on the table, and also through David's astute and informed observations of his sensations. My knowing of both these healing arts, and of David's and my respective gifts as unique healers, has deepened considerably. I have also come to understand in a body-felt way what I've known conceptually since I started doing massage - bodyworkers need bodywork. This is not optional. The more I resource myself, the more I'm available to clients.

So last night it was my turn on David's table. His hands were drawn immediately to my right shoulder and I felt waves of release and relief begin to wash down my arm. David got a flash of a stabbing wound from a past life as a warrior, and I was glad to be releasing any residual pain from that. His hands followed the pain down into my arm, and he laughed and told me my arm was holding the distinct emotion of anger and wanting to punch somebody. I wasn't conscious of wanting to hit anyone, but as the healing proceeded a few choices floated through my mind. But it didn't matter, it didn't have to be made conscious, just released.

When David got to my right hand, he became quite still, almost reverent. He softly said my hand felt sacred, as if he were holding "a religious object that brings heaven to earth." His comment, and the vibration I felt of something like awe, took me instantaneously to a deep knowing and gratitude. To soul-level recognition of my hands as instruments of something so much larger than me, and the message that touching people is an unmistakable part of my purpose in being on earth this lifetime. As I seek to find a vision to integrate all the pieces and parts of me, this was a gentle but potent reminder not to take these amazing hands for granted. And how better to deliver and impress this message than with his own incredibly powerful hands.

Thank you, David. For last night's session and so much more.

No comments: